I didn't deviate very much here from the Simplicity 1752 instructions. I took 4 inches out of the length of the robe overall, but didn't adjust the sleeves -- I thought that the this robe might do for another year if I rolled them up this year.
The shawl collar was a little tricky -- I had a little bit of trouble understanding where I was going -- but now that I've done it, I'd make this again. I love the patch pockets in the front that seem to disappear into the fabric and I like the little loop I added so this robe can be hung. The pattern suggests sewing the tie to the center back of the robe and at first I thought I would just do belt loops at the side seams, but then it occurred to me that having a tie firmly attached to the robe would be an asset for small children. I like that it won't come off.
My only regret is that I didn't make long french seams on the sides. I thought about it, but wound up serging them instead. I wish I'd taken the extra few minutes.
After all the splashing, and playing, and getting hair made into soapy craziness of the bath, we snuggled this little guy into his pyjamas and "slippies," and new robe.